Hello everyone! I'm back. Thank you for all of your patience. Nope, our life's trials are not over yet, but at least I have sewed a quilt block so we can finish all our blocks in our QAL.
This is block number 9!
It is a spinning Pinwheel Star and is very similar to block #7. In fact, all of the tricks we used on that block will be used here.
STEP ONE: As usual, lay out all of your pieces according to the layout diagram. I wanted the diamond shapes to "pop"--to create a visual difference from block number 7 where the outer corners face a different direction -- so I chose coordinating HST colors to match the diamonds (e.g. green with green, brown with brown...etc.)
STEP TWO: Sew into columns. (These steps have been shown in previous posts.)
STEP THREE: Press columns in opposite directions
STEP FOUR: Nest seams and sew rows together.
STEP FIVE: Trim a little nick in the center of the pinwheel, then place your thumb on it and spin the block. This way your block center will splay out like a fan and lie flat.
STEP SIX: Enjoy! Use these blocks in your favorite setting.
I'll be back soon with the sashing instructions for the setting I used.
Until next time, Happy Sewing!
- Charm Square Quilt Along 2015 Block Links
- Quilt Pattern Updates & Corrections
- One & 1/2 Cent Per Square Inch Catalog
- Links to Free Smocking Projects on the Internet
- Tutorial-Bishop's Yoke Smocked Dress
- Freebies! Instant Download Quilt Patterns, Tutorials And More!
- KISMIF Archive of Free Motion Quilting
- 2013 Quilt-A-Long
- Piecing Lessons
- Heirloom Sampler Blocks
- Tips for Domestic Machine Quilters
- 2014 Quilt Along: Punky-Wunkin Quilt