Thursday, January 8, 2015

Charm Square Sampler Quilt Along

A special thank-you goes out to the Grab My Code Generator so I could make this Quilt A Long (QAL) button.  This really is the fastest and easiest way to create a blog button.


Charm Square Sampler Quilt A Long

I am flattered by the interest shown after Monday's announcement and grateful that some of you are going to join in.

I had a nice email asking me the "rules" for the QAL.  In short, I don't have any.  If you would like to copy the code and paste a button on your blog, that is great.  If it is a daunting task to do so, then don't worry about it.  I'm doing the QAL for fun--not for publicity.  It's simply my next pattern to be developed and thought I would share it for you.

Also, I do not "expect" you to purchase the pattern.  As with my other QAL, all of the instructions will be posted here.

FYI, I started a flickr pool for easy photo sharing of projects.  I would love for you to join and share your blocks and progress there.

Lastly, some folks have asked for a schedule.  Here is my TENTATIVE schedule. I am sorry that it is tentative, but I figured you would understand.  I am doing a Master's Degree right now, juggling 4 kids and it is their basketball season--so not a lot of free time around here!  The plan is to construct one block a week (not too bad, right?).

I will post every Saturday with the next week's instructions.  Here is the planned schedule:

January 10--How to change your charm squares into Half-Square Triangles (HSTs)--the Magic begins!  (wink wink)
January 17--Block 1
January 24--Block 2
January 31--Block 3
February 7--Block 4
February 14--Block 5 & Happy Valentine's Day!
February 21--Block 6
February 28--Block 7
March 7--Catch-up week and Happy Birthday to Me!  I will be featured on Moda Bake Shop this week with another pre-cut fabrics quilt tutorial.
March 14--Block 8
Block 9 & Celebrate all of our blocks being sewn
March 21--Block 9 & Celebrate all of our  blocks being sewn.
March 28--Sewing the Settting Sashing
April 4--Add the Borders

I separated this into 12 sections.  Why?  Because if you don't want to do the whole quilt in three months, you could do just one block a month and have a great project at the end of this year.

Here is your Fabric Requirements:
  • 2 packages charm squares in your favorite print (pre-cut 5" squares).  Now, if you want to use your stash, cut strips of 4 7/8" and cut these into 4 7/8" squares.  Why?  Well, charm squares contain a serrated edge, which makes their useable size 4 7/8".
  • 2 packages white (or background color of choice) charm squares (pre-cut 5").  Also, if you're using your stash, follow the instructions above.
  • 2 yards white (or color of choice) fabric for the sashing.
  • 2 1/4 yards print fabric for the outer border.
When I design a quilt, I don't always know what color I want to create it in--which is what make QAL's so fun!  I get to see the quilts worked up in multiple colorways.  This quilt could also make a great stash-buster.

Print this off and color your own!

Denim and Blues

Heirloom Reds

Modern rainbow colors and grays.

Stash-buster!

I am going to use the Honeysweet collection from Moda Fabrics.

Reproduction prints--a similar colorway to my Honeysweet Moda Fabrics Collection.

Well, I hope that is enough information for now.  Thank you for your excitement over this project.  It means a lot to me.  When I did my first QAL, I never got a single comment on any of the posts!  My second QAL, got comments but I don't think anyone actually sewed the project, so those of you that have expressed your excitement and commitment, know that it means a lot.

Happy Quilting!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for all the options with color. I will be trying this.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! I would love to respond to you, so leave me an email if you would like a response or your website if you would like me to visit you! Happy Quilting!