Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Flying To Paradise QAL Part 4

It's time to finish up that quilt top for the Flying To Paradise QAL.  All of the diagrams and instructions are shared previously.  Today is a WiP Wednesday which I'm sharing with Freshly Pieced,  My Quilt Infatuation  and Crazy Mom Quilts.

Without further delay, here's some action photos of piecing together all of those flying geese units.

It is important not to blunt the tops of the triangles.  To accomplish this, sew with the point on top and try to get your sewing machine needle down into the X where the previous threads have crossed.  In the photo, look for the yellow-head pin as it is jammed into the exact point we're trying for.  This will ensure a perfect seam.

Here's another photo of the alignment going into the sewing machine.
Once these are sewn, the left and right hand sides used 11 flying geese blocks while the top and bottom required 15 blocks.  After I ironed on this border, I became really excited.  Just look how well those colors pop and play with one another!  BTW, many thanks to the folks at Connecting Threads for sponsoring this QAL.  You can purchase the batiks used in this project HERE.Light & Bright Batik Fat Quarter Sampler.

My ironing board never looked so good!

Once I reached this point, I was so happy with this quilt that I considered just quilting this much and binding it.  However, Connecting Threads was so generous to me that I had plenty of the white to add the outer borders.

The Flying To Paradise quilt top without the outer white border--draped on my quilting frame.


The completed Flying To Paradise quilt top.
I love to convert pictures to gray-scale.  Here is the same quilt with the yellow filter on.  It shows lights and darks and helps you choose different fabric lines to create the Flying To Paradise quilt top from.

If you would like to purchase a down-loadable PDF of this quilt pattern in its entirety instead of scrolling through all of the posts, click HERE.

Thanks for visiting!  I hope you have enjoyed this QAL project as much as I have!  BTW, there's only two more days to enter my fabric give-away so leave me a comment HERE.



 photo BlogButton_zps6185a816.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! I would love to respond to you, so leave me an email if you would like a response or your website if you would like me to visit you! Happy Quilting!